Sunday, February 8, 2015
Why "World like an oyster"?
I was looking for some English idiom that I could use as a title of my blog. I enjoyed "The world is your oyster" the most. The polish counterpart of it is "Świat stoi przed tobą otworem" or "Mieć świat u swoich stóp". When I found this idiom on some website there was a short explaination: "The world is your oyster" means that you're keeping it (oyster = world) in your hands. The oyster is completely vulnerable so you can do with it anything you want. It's optimistic and powerful phrase, but I was thinking about another aspects of it. Well, we're keeping it in our hands, but it's an OYSTER- awful slippy (it's easy to drop it) jellied creature. But it can be delicious, too. It's a brilliant metaphor of the world, isn't it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Just to extend your discussion of the "oyster idiom": it's funny but I never really liked that phrase because of the disgusting texture of that special raw-eaten seafod you mentioned! It is slippery, probably smells like zillions of fish in one rotten pond and... anyway - I would never eat that. I don't know how about you, but MY world is NOT an oyster. At least I hope not. :-D
ReplyDelete